Boundaries are a line drawn that marks the limit of a subject, principle, or relationship. Poor boundaries and low self-esteem go hand in hand. If you have difficulty setting boundaries and practicing self-care, you need it’s best to start by defining your self-worth and evaluating your boundaries.
A lack of boundaries can create a habit of taking too much or too little responsibility, damaging your relationships in the process. Personal boundaries are essential for healthy relationships, work, and most importantly, your joy.
The boundaries you set for yourself serve as rules or guidelines that make room for you to enjoy your life.
What are your boundaries?
Recognizing your limits is integral to growth and happiness. It’s important to reflect on each day and your feelings about it. This is one way we can assess our boundaries. Ask yourself things like:
What is important to you today?
- What intentions do you have set for today and how do you plan to execute them?
- Think about the goals you have set, and make sure you have room for yourself in the mix.
Where do you land on your list of priorities?
- Do you have goals set that give you space to take a step back and enjoy something today?
- Think about whether or not you have a boundary placed between you and whatever taxing tasks you have today. Make sure that you have a goal set that allows you time for yourself and yourself only.
How did you spend your day and who did you spend it for?
- Are you happy with how you spent the day?
- Think about whether or not you got time for your own peace and joy today, if you make space for something you wanted to do that wasn’t related to anything but your desires.
It’s essential that your life has space for you, and that you live it for yourself. Taking a moment to reflect on your day and center your life around your needs is a great step in the right direction.