Episode 2 | March 29, 2022
Dr. Susan Landers on Burnout and the Invisible Load of Motherhood
Welcome to “That’s a Hard No” – the podcast about saying no and setting boundaries so you can become the authentic and empowered you that this world needs.
Reminder: While Sarah is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, this podcast is in no way a replacement for one-on-one therapy with a mental health professional. If you are struggling with mental health issues, we welcome you on this journey, but also invite you to seek out professional help.
Looking for a therapist? Here’s a good place to start: psychologytoday.com
- How do we keep all those “spinning plates” going? Dr. Susan Landers breaks down the feeling of performing an act to keep all the plates spinning and as one gets wobbly we must run and keep it going, but when do we max out?
- What signs to look for when you may be feeling burnt out. How do you know?
- What to do if you are burned out. Moms often take on the invisible loads of the household, who is mothering the mother? Susan and Sarah share professional tips to relieve some of the pain of burnout and how to continue to care for yourself to avoid getting to the point of burnout.
- All moms are working moms, because childcare and domestic chores are just the beginning of a long list of layers motherhood employs.
- It takes a village! A common theme of the discussion is creating a safe space and support group (whether that be friends, family, therapists, mentors) having people to talk to and talk through feelings with is extremely important.
- Burnout in the healthcare field. This is a field that can constantly cause stress both physically, emotionally, and mentally – normalizing therapy and caring for self is beyond important to be able to the provider and caregiver patients need.
Where to Find Susan
- Website – SusanLandersMD.com
- Her book! So Many Babies (link to Amazon)
- Susan’s also on Instagram! Her handle is @DrSusanLanders
- And she’s on Facebook! Dr. Susan Landers
Resources & Recommendations
- So Many Babies, by Susan Landers, MD – This book is memoir of Susan’s life. A neonatologist (intensive care of critically ill newborn infants) who raised three children while practicing medicine full time. See how Susan’s practice influenced her experience as a mother and how she found resilience and endurance and managed to postpone burnout until late in her career. (link to Amazon)
- Fair Play, by Eve Rodsky – This book provides a unique way to divvy up the responsibilities of life, parenting, and domestic chores. The author interviewed over 500 people to include all the invisible duties of running a household and family. (link to Amazon)
Credits and Thanks
- Many thanks to our friends and families (our “villagers”) for listening, and for your continued support.
- That’s a Hard No is a joint production of Clever Girl Marketing and Purposeful Growth & Wellness.
- Marketing and Production Coordinator, Maura Del Rosario.
- Production Support, Evergreen Podcasts, Noah Foutz, Producer.
- Music: “Whiskey for Lunch” by GG Rigs.