Episode 33 | August 8, 2023
Remembering that your passions hold more value than perfection, from a grammy award winning pianist, Dr. Angelin Chang
Dr. Angelin Chang, Grammy award-winning pianist and professor of music discusses how to follow your passions without the threat of perfection.
Welcome to “That’s a Hard No” – the podcast about learning to say no and set boundaries to live our best lives.
Follow along with me as we learn from fellow strugglers and experts, so that you too can start saying no without feeling fear, guilt, or FOMO.
Dr. Angelin Chang, Grammy award-winning classical pianist and professor of music at Cleveland State University talks about passion over perfection and finding balance.
High Achieving Individual: Why Perfection Isn’t Everything
- Make room for living
- Balance is the most important
- Remember your purpose for any performance or task and take yourself and your ego out of it
- To do anything at ALL costs is not worth the payment
- Take Inventory – what are your overarching goals and passions – where is the overlap
Perfect, but so what?
- As a grammy award winner, peers selected Dr. Chang, it’s important to recognize those taking note of our skills
- Who are the best critics? People who understand your studies or passions. Those who also practice them.
Boundaries in a Male Dominated Field
- To be respected women must have perceived characteristics to get ahead
- Through travel it is noted that within the US there are far less women in positions of power than other countries
Passions In Life
- Realizing that our passions can be about life but that our life shouldn’t revolve around our passions
- We need tangible life skills and teachings to become great in our passions
- The value of excelling in something you love is unmatched
- Struggle doesn’t equate to passion
How Our Educators Support Us
- Find what’s genuine within yourself
- Do not try to mimic others, try to find what’s truly authentic within
Where to Find Dr. Angelin Chang
- Website – AngelinChang.com
Credits and Thanks
- Many thanks to our friends and families (our “villagers”) for listening, and for your continued support.
- That’s a Hard No is a production of Clever Girl Marketing
- Marketing and Production Coordinator, Maura Del Rosario
- Production Support, Evergreen Podcasts, Noah Foutz, Producer
- New Rock Anthem Music: Written by Noah, and performed by his band, The Big Leagues
- Videographer & Photographer, Jake Donnelly