Episode 34 | August 15, 2023
An episode where our host, Heather Drago, answers our listeners burning questions on saying no and setting boundaries from Season 3 thus far.
Our first mailbag episode includes Heather discussing the struggle of saying no to projects, people, or organizations that need your expertise without feeling guilty. While admitting she's no expert, she offers some insights and tips on how to navigate this challenge.
Welcome to “That’s a Hard No” – the podcast about learning to say no and set boundaries to live our best lives.
Follow along with me as we learn from fellow strugglers and experts, so that you too can start saying no without feeling fear, guilt, or FOMO.
Every season we cover important topics and hear lots of questions from our listeners, this episode we answer some of the most repeated questions. Heather uses her experience and recent conversations to help support some of listeners on their hard hitting “saying no” struggles.
[00:02:17] Saying no to free consultations
- As a business owner (or employee) you need to recognize your boundaries and your value
- Have personal policies
“Anyone who is an expert in some field gets asked all the time, can I pick your brain?”
[00:09:27] Setting boundaries and saying no
- Our never-ending conversation, how to do this, what are best practices, and does it get any easier?
“We miss out on the great because we’re busy with the mediocre.”
[00:16:07] Parenting and healthy boundaries
- We discuss important limitations, not being a “helicopter” parent and how to best support our children in their boundary setting
- A parent is always a parent, we discuss ways to hold and respect boundaries with adult children as well
- Thank you Beverly Soggs
[00:28:26] Strengthening your “no” muscles
- Consistently saying no helps to be better at saying no
- It is constantly work, it’s not something that you can set and forget
- We are human beings, not human doings
[00:32:09] Setting healthy boundaries between genders
- We need a guest on to discuss this!
- Prioritize being kind and thoughtful, work on solutions together
[00:41:10] Setting boundaries with money
- Money is a difficult topic – stay tuned for a couple financial experts to talk money boundaries this season
- Oftentimes people are respectful of others setting monetary boundaries
- The most difficult is setting money boundaries for yourself
[00:46:08] Saying no is the key
“Saying no is the key to living an authentic, fulfilling life.”
Credits and Thanks
- Many thanks to our friends and families (our “villagers”) for listening, and for your continued support.
- That’s a Hard No is a production of Clever Girl Marketing
- Marketing and Production Coordinator, Maura Del Rosario
- Production Support, Evergreen Podcasts, Noah Foutz, Producer
- New Rock Anthem Music: Written by Noah, and performed by his band, The Big Leagues