Minisode 01a | October 6, 2020
What's Your Why?
Sarah talks about the importance of identifying your why, so that you have the foundation you need to start saying no, set boundaries and create the life you want.
Welcome to “That’s a Hard No” – the podcast about saying no (in all its forms) so you can become the authentic and empowered person that this world needs.
Quick disclosure: While Sarah is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, this podcast is in no way a replacement for one-on-one therapy with a mental health professional. If you are struggling with mental health issues, we welcome you on this journey, but also invite you to seek out professional help.
Looking for a therapist? Here’s a good place to start: psychologytoday.com
- Your why is your source of intrinsic motivation – a fancy psychological term that refers to your internal drive. That intrinsic motivation is the fire you need that will help push you towards the goals you’ve set for yourself and life that you want.
- Knowing why you do what you do is crucial. Otherwise, we would all be aimlessly wandering around without any real sense of purpose or end goal in mind.
- When your why is kept at the forefront of your mind, making decisions becomes a lot easier – which in turn allows you to set boundaries.
- Knowing your why helps you to remember your values so that when it comes time to make decisions, you are intentional and purposeful making decisions that serve you and support your why.
- Why’s are personal. It comes from within you. Your why is not supposed to look like someone else’s because you are living your life, not theirs. Your whys are things that matter to you and inspire you.
- Research proves that people who have a sense of purpose are often seen as unstoppable, confident, highly motivated – all because they are laser-focused on their why.
- Don’t feel discouraged if you don’t know what your why is yet. Figuring out your why is a process, and this minisode is just meant to help you get the ball rolling.
Three Questions to Ask Yourself When Thinking About Your Why
- What makes you come alive?
- Why do I get up every day?
- What are the things you need daily to feel your best?
Credits and Thanks
- Special thanks to Reanna Karousis of Collective Reach and the Social Distance Happy Hour, who inspired and challenged us to start this podcast and helped us produce our first episode.
- Thanks also to our families and friends for all their encouragement and support, and to you, our listeners, for joining us on this adventure.
- That’s a Hard No is a joint production of Clever Girl Marketing and Purposeful Growth & Wellness.
- Logo design by Angela Giaco of A Pink Sunset. You can find her at apinksunset.com.
- Music: “Whiskey for Lunch” by GG Rigs. (Don’t judge us, you guys. We just like the song.)